If you're a senior graduating in Spring 2012 from an accredited San Diego County high school, you could be one of 40 students awarded a laptop from the MTS Coca Cola Laptop Scholarship! The 40 students from around San Diego with the top essays will be awarded a laptop computer and commemorative certificate.
This year's essay question:
In 2011, the Metropolitan Transit System launched a new texting service, GO! With this technology, riders can text to get next-arrival times for their bus or Trolley. More and more people are using smart phones and cell phones to get information. Write a 1,000 word essay on how GO! and other innovative uses of mobile devices and the Web can help make travel on public transportation easier.
Please fill out an application form and attach it to your essay.
Essay postmark deadline is
Friday, April 13, 2012 at 5 p.m.
The MTS & Coca-Cola scholarship program is presented by the Metropolitan Transit System (MTS), Coca-Cola Bottling Company of San Diego, and San Diego County Office of Education.
Application forms are also available at:
• The Transit Store at 102 Broadway in Downtown San Diego
• San Diego County Office of Education
• Online Application
1. Entrants must reside in San Diego County, be in 12th grade, and be enrolled in an accredited San Diego County high school.
2. Essay must be at least 1,000 words and typed in 12-point type.
3. One entry per student.
4. Entries must be the sole work of the entrant. A student's signature on the application form is required for verification.
5. Entries must be accompanied by a completed application form stapled to the front of the essay.
6. Entries must be mailed and postmarked by April 13, 2012 at 5 p.m. Mail or deliver in person to:
Metropolitan Transit System
2012 Laptop Scholarship
1255 Imperial Avenue, Suite 1000
San Diego, CA 92101-7490
7. Finalists will be notified by e-mail and phone by May 4, 2012. Decisions of the judges are final.
8. Entries will not be returned to entrants.