We operate a traditional fixed route bus and light rail system in curb-to-curb service using a ramp or lift-equipped vehicles in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). We also operate a paratransit operation, MTS Access operated by First Transit, for passengers who are not able to board our buses and Trolleys.
What does MTS Access Provide?
- MTS Access is a complementary service mirroring the services provided by our standard buses and Trolleys within a ¾ mile radius of a nearby bus or Trolley station.
- Example: If the bus route closest to you does not run on the weekends, MTS Access would not be available to you on the weekends, just as a passenger on a fixed route bus would not be able to ride the fixed route bus if it did not operate on the weekend.
- MTS Access is divided into 4 zones. You may be required to transfer to another vehicle for transportation between zones, just as a regular rider would have to make occasional transfers.
- Example: If you are traveling from Poway (Zone 2) to La Jolla (Zone 1), you would board one MTS Access vehicle in Poway, transfer to another vehicle in Miramar and complete your trip on the second vehicle.
- MTS Access operates within an ADA service area. Pickup and drop-off locations for MTS Access must be within our service area.
- Our service area is designed to complement the fixed bus and Trolley routes and times. The ADA service area and hours may contract or expand as we make service changes to our fixed route bus and trolley operations.
You must be certified as eligible before you can use the Access service.
To become certified:
- Complete an application with ADARide
- ADARide will make one of the following determinations about your needs within 21 days:
- Unrestricted: Individuals who are never able to board, ride, disembark, or understand the fixed route bus and trolley system under all circumstances.
- Restricted: Individuals who sometimes are not able to board, ride, disembark, or understand the fixed route bus and trolley system.
- Temporary: Individuals whose disability may improve over time or with treatment.
- Visitor: Visitor status will be provided to any individual for up to 21 days in any 12-month period by providing documentation that you have a health condition or disability which prevents you from using the fixed route buses and trolley. If you travel to other areas and are certified in San Diego, you can contact the transit authority in that area and request visitor eligibility there.
- Ineligible: Individuals who indicate or demonstrate they have the functional ability to board, ride, disembark, and understand the fixed route bus and trolley system under all circumstances.
If you are visiting San Diego and use ADA Paratransit where you live, you are eligible for use of MTS Access for up to 21 days in a 12-month period. Call the ADARide offices in advance to be added to our passenger list. We require basic information and documentation of your hometown ADA certification. If your certification documents are cannot be retrieved from your local transit agency, you may demonstrate proof of disability which prevents you from using our fixed route buses and trolley.
If approved, a verification of certification status will be mailed to you for your records. You may reserve a ride after you have been certified as ADA eligible.
Rides are scheduled by calling between 8am and 5pm:
Reservations are accepted from two days in advance until 5 p.m. the day before travel. We will need the name of the passenger, the pick-up and destination addresses, and any return trip information. Our reservation agents may need until 5pm the day before your ride to finalize your pickup time. Example: If you want to travel on a Monday, you can call to schedule your trip from 8am on a Saturday until 5pm on Sunday.
- Your reserved pickup time will be within one hour of your requested pickup time.
- Trip lengths can be 60-90 minutes long, depending on other passenger pickups and stops, and travel time to your destination.
- Example: If you request an 8am pickup, your trip offer will be between 7 and 9am and your arrival time will depend on your trip pick-up time, other passenger pickups and drops, and they varying amount of time it may take to travel to your destination.
- You may reserve a seat for one or more companions on a space-available basis. Companions must pay full fare.
- We are not able to schedule or predict drop off times due to other passenger needs, traffic conditions and other variables.
- If your plans change, please cancel as soon as possible. If we don't receive a cancellation call within 2 hours of the scheduled trip, it will be noted as a "late cancellation" which will be treated the same as a "no show."
- If you have three or more unexcused no shows or no shows for 10% of their scheduled trips (whichever is greater) within a calendar month, you will be suspended from using these services for two weeks (14 days).
- If you want to change your destination while on the vehicle, you must call the reservation office to make the change. If your new destination cannot be accommodated, the driver will return you to your pickup location.
- All our MTS Access vehicles run on a schedule. Your pickup may arrive up to 20 minutes after your scheduled time and will wait no longer than 3 minutes past the scheduled pickup time. Timeliness is essential as we cannot delay other passengers.
- If you require a higher level of assistance from your origin to your destination, please let us know in advance so we can identify reasonable accommodations that can be provided to assist your transportation.
- Drivers may travel from the vehicle. Drivers may not enter a private residence and must remain in visual contact with the vehicle while assisting a passenger.
- Drivers are not permitted to help you with the consumption of medication, food or drink.
- Please let us know in advance if you cannot be left unattended. You will receive origin-to-destination service within our guidelines. Passengers who appear, or claim to be, unable to care for themselves and do not have someone to receive them will be transported back to the origin of their trip, to the nearest medical facility, or to a police or sheriff’s substation, at the discretion of the paratransit supervisor.
- Passengers who become physically violent, disruptive, harass other passengers and/or violate the MTS Passenger Code may be suspended from the service. At the time of such an event, the passenger will either be returned to the place of their trip origin or local law enforcement will be called to the scene at the discretion of the paratransit supervisor.
- Drivers will assist passengers with up to two (2) twenty (20) pound packages on and off the vehicle. All packages must be able to be safely secured under your seat or in your lap. When travelling to/from the airport, cruise ship terminal, or an inter-city bus or train station, the driver will assist with up to two (2) fifty (50) pound packages.
- If you require assistance beyond the service level provided under the origin-to-destination standard, you may be certified to travel with a Personal Care Attendant (PCA). PCAs may ride with you free of charge.
- The wheelchair lifts on the vehicles are designed to not exceed a combined device and passenger weight of 800 pounds, and accommodate devices 30 inches in width, and 48 inches in length. If you and your mobility aid exceed those dimensions but can safely fit on the vehicle, you will be transported. Mobility aids and passengers that exceed the 800 pounds or are not able to safely fit onboard the vehicle will not be transported.
- Passengers using service animals or traveling with a respirator or portable oxygen supply are welcome on these services.
- The One-Way Fare is $4.50 for all MTS Zones. Transfers to NCTD require a fare payment to NCTD. You can purchase a 10-pack ticket book for $45 at The Transit Store at 102 Broadway in Downtown San Diego. The Transit Store accepts cash, checks, money orders, traveler’s checks, Visa and MasterCard credit cards.
- You may also order your prepaid ticket booklets through the mail. Please send a check or money order for the amount of booklets you would like, payable to MTS, at:
MTS Access Ticket Sales
San Diego, CA 92101
- You can expedite your order by calling 619.234.1060, Monday–Friday, 9 am–4:30 pm, and pay with a credit or debit card.
- Tickets can also be purchased online
- MTS Access prepaid tickets are only valid on the MTS Access service. MTS Access tickets cannot be used as valid fare or to transfer to MTS fixed routes.
- Children five years of age or younger may ride free with a fare-paying adult. While a Personal Care Attendant (PCA) may travel without paying a fare, at least one passenger must always pay a full fare. A fare must be paid when an adult or guardian is traveling as the non-paying child’s PCA. Likewise, two passengers cannot claim each other as Personal Care Attendants to avoid fare payment.
- Drivers have a 20-minute window to arrive for a scheduled trip and still be considered on time. The 20-minute window starts at the scheduled trip time and ends 20 minutes after the scheduled trip time.
- Example: If you're given a 7:30am pickup time, the vehicle may appear from 7:30-7:50am and still be on time.
- On occasion, a cancellation or lighter-than-average traffic could allow a driver to arrive earlier than your scheduled pickup time. You have the option to leave early or require the driver to wait until your scheduled time.
- If your bus is more than 20 minutes late, please call the MTS Access toll-free number (888.517.9627) to check on the status of your ride.
- Same-day trips are not required by the ADA. If you miss your trip, we will attempt to offer you the best trip available.
- A limited number of subscriptions are available for passengers with a regular travel pattern.
- Subscriptions may be placed on hold for breaks of up to 60 days. If they aren’t reactivated after that time, they will be canceled.
- Subscriptions are automatically canceled on most holidays and days of reduced services surrounding holidays. If you have a subscription and need your ride on a given holiday, contact the reservation office at least 3 business days before the holiday to make sure your ride isn’t canceled.
If you plan a trip into the northern area of San Diego County, the trip will need to be booked with the North County Transit District (NCTD). NCTD has its own paratransit system known as NCTD LIFT; their reservation phone number is 1-760-726-1111. Trips are independently booked by MTS Access (Zones 1–4) and NCTD LIFT. Trips with origins and destinations across in different service areas may require a transfer. Trips with origins and destinations across multiple service areas may experience more than one transfer. If origin-to-destination service is requested then the driver will wait with passengers for the next vehicle to arrive at transfer locations.