Calling all San Diego County middle and high school students: Want to ride public transit for free, and have a chance to win prizes along the way? Participate in the upcoming Youth Opportunity Pass (YOP) Digital Download Day on March 15, 2023!
Hopefully you already know that you can ride public transit for free with SANDAG’s Youth Opportunity Pass pilot program, but now, MTS and NCTD are offering prizes to the schools with the most students (ages 13-18) who participate in our Digital Download Day contest, too.
With spring break right around the corner for many schools, now is the time to get set-up to ride buses, Trolleys, the SPRINTER and COASTER for free so that you can explore more of San Diego.
The school with the most YOP Digital Download Day participants will have free churros brought to their school. Plus, you will also get to chance to win individual gift cards from Best Buy and other stores when you enter.
Here's how you can get started with YOP, or enter the contest.
Choose whether you will use the app or a physical card to ride.
- Download the free PRONTO app in the Google Play or Apple store and create an account. You will need a unique email address to register for an account if using the app. Once your account is set-up, create a virtual PRONTO card.
- You can purchase a physical PRONTO Card at any Trolley, SPRINTER or COASTER platform, the MTS Transit Store, an NCTD Customer Service Center, or at a third party retailer. Please note: PRONTO cards cost $2 at the time of purchase, and you will need to load money onto your card at the time of purchase ($3 at ticket machines, $5 at retail outlets).
Fill out the form below on YOP Digital Download Day to convert your PRONTO card from an ‘Adult’ card to a Youth PRONTO card. Having a Youth PRONTO card is the only way to get free rides with YOP! Completing this form will also enter you in the contest.
- Note: If you already have an existing PRONTO card, still complete the form! Your card will stay active as a Youth rider, but you will now be entered into the contest. Please do not create a new PRONTO app account or register a new card solely for the purposes of the contest; entering your existing card works just fine!
- Make sure to add your school name so your school can earn points toward winning the Churro Truck Grand Prize
- Please review the contest rules to ensure you are eligible
One Day to Enter - March 15, 2023
You will only have one day to register for prizes, so make sure to get your PRONTO card in advance! If you need to convert your PRONTO card to a Youth account prior to YOP Digital Download Day, you can do so here.
To view the complete list of contest rules, click here.
Entries are only open to students 13 – 18 years old currently enrolled at a San Diego County middle or high school.
Contest is open to both students who already have a PRONTO Youth card and students who are signing up for the first time. In either case, only entries submitted to the form on the YOP Digital Download Day website on March 15, 2023 will be counted.
There will be a limit of one PRONTO Youth card entry per person.
Any entries that are deemed by PRONTO to be invalid (i.e. due to a card number error) will not be counted.
For a full list of contest rules and guidelines, click here.