Is this your first trip with MTS? We want your ride to be easy and convenient! Here are some tips on getting started with San Diego’s transit system.
Find Your Way
- By Phone: (619) 233-3004
- For the hearing impaired: (888) 722-4889
- Printed Maps – Available at the Transit Store and at over 100 places around town.
Enjoy the Ride
- Plan to arrive at the bus or Trolley stop a few minutes before the time listed on the schedule.
- If you're using a PRONTO card, load money onto your card before boarding the bus or entering a station platform.
- You can earn-as-you-go by adding money to your PRONTO account. Every time you tap to board a vehicle, the appropriate one-way fare is deducted from your balance. A rider will never be charged more than a Day Pass in a given calendar day, regardless of how many trips/taps they make.
- Trolley: tap your PRONTO Card on a validator or purchase a pass at the ticket vending machine. Failure to tap could result in a citation. If you're using the PRONTO app, be prepared to show fare inspectors your activated fare while on a platform or on board.
- When you see the bus or trolley coming, stand at the stop so the operator can see you and confirm the signs on the front and side show the correct line or route number.
- Bus: pay your fare and tap or scan your PRONTO Card in the designated area. Bus Operators will ask riders to tap or scan when they board, and Code Compliance Inspectors will make friendly fare checks to see if riders tapped or scanned their cards.
- Sit anywhere you’d like or stand holding one of the available bars or handholds. Please reserve the seats and spaces marked for senior and disabled riders. If you need to stand on the bus, please move toward the back to keep the aisle as clear as possible for other passengers.
- On the Trolley, prior to arrival, the next stop will be announced. There are also internal signs that display the arriving station’s name on the low-floor Trolleys. When the Trolley comes to a stop, go to the nearest door and press the button. On the bus, pull down the yellow cord by the windows to request the next stop. Operators announce major stops along most routes. Please exit through the rear door of the bus.