Are you eligible for a reduced fare?
We offer reduced fares and passes for:
- Senior Citizens (65+ or born on or before September 1, 1959)
- Medicare Recipients (not MediCal)
- People with disabilities who qualify for a reduced fare under federal and state law
- Youth ages 6-18 (school ID, transit identification, or government-issued photo ID required): The Youth Opportunity Pass pilot program offers free transit for Youth with a PRONTO app account or card, through June 30, 2024. Learn more.
To purchase and use a discounted pass, you will be required to show proper identification demonstrating your eligibility.
We accept the following identification:
- PRONTO Card Photo ID (Preferred)
- A valid government-issued photo ID with birthdate (for seniors and youth)
- Medicare card + government-issued photo ID
- DMV Placard ID (Receipt) + a government-issued photo ID
- Senior ID card (65+ or born on or before September 1, 1959)
- Veterans Administration Award Letter confirming a minimum 50% service connected disability
- School ID (for youth)
- NCTD or other California transit agency unexpired reduced fare disabled or complementary paratransit ID + government-issued photo ID (if no photo included on disabled ID)
You must have one of these forms of ID with you to prove eligibility when applying for a reduced fare, and at all times when riding.
PRONTO app accounts and PRONTO cards issued at ticket machines and retail outlets are Adult rates by default. Users who qualify for a reduced fare must convert their app account and/or PRONTO card to a reduced fare account to receive the discounted pass rates. Riders can convert to a reduced fare online (see below), at the MTS Transit Store or NCTD Customer Service Centers, or over the phone with the PRONTO Support team at 619-595-5636. Any account converted online or over the phone have a limited eligibility date, through June 30, 2024.
PRONTO Reduced Fare Eligibility Notice
The eligibility for all reduced fare cards issued at PRONTO outreach events, or cards issued at retail outlets or ticket machines that were later converted online or over the phone, expires June 30, 2024. Riders will need to re-verify their eligibility at the Transit Store prior to June 30, 2024 to continue to receive the reduced fare rate. MTS has launched a new online application/verification system as an alternative to going in-person. Please visit the PRONTO Online Application FAQ page for information about this transition.
Request Change for your PRONTO Card - PRONTO Online Application
Did you get an Adult fare PRONTO card that needs to be switched over to Reduced Fare? We now have an online application to help you with that transition. Visit the PRONTO Online Application FAQ page for information about this transition. Please note: riders must confirm they have and will travel with valid, accepted forms of eligibility when applying for a reduced fare rate. Failure to travel with proof of eligibility may result in a fine.
You can apply for reduced fares in one of two ways: