A New Rapid Project is Underway in South Bay
Construction will begin in early 2022 on the future Iris Rapid line that will run between Otay Mesa and Imperial Beach—connecting residents to coastal destinations, regional employment and activity centers, and the UC San Diego Blue Line. Rapid services are high-frequency, limited-stop routes that help move people to their destinations more quickly than traditional local bus service.
Iris Rapid will have new Rapid stations with enhanced lighting and passenger information, as well as other capital improvements to facilities along the route. Iris Rapid will be operated with a brand new fleet of 12 articulated battery-electric buses – the first in MTS’ fleet!
Major construction activities launching in 2022 will include: building new Rapid stations along Coronado Ave, Imperial Beach Blvd, and Seacoast Dr; adding a traffic signal at Coronado Ave/30th Street to improve transit travel times; constructing a new bus island on the west side of the Iris Avenue Transit Center; and some modifications to the east side of the transit center.
- Fall 2019: Community engagement and project scoping
- Early 2020: Operating plan finalized with input from public outreach and bus procurement
- Spring-Fall 2020: Rapid station design and engineering
- 2022: Rapid improvements and station construction: bus procurement
- Late 2022: Iris Rapid service launch