Get a free lift on Wednesday, October 5!
Free Ride Day is taking place Wednesday, October 5. Trolleys, COASTER, SPRINTER, and fixed-route buses will be totally free to ride. Free Ride Day is being held in conjunction with California’s Clean Air Day, where residents across the state of California will take steps to reduce emissions and improve air quality.
Taking transit in lieu of driving can provide many benefits, including:
- Cost savings: With gas prices still hovering around $5 in San Diego County, riders are invited to try the commute cost calculator to see how much they can save by choosing transit.
- Avoid special event traffic and parking costs: The Padres will play their final home game on Free Ride Day. Fans can take the COASTER or Trolley to get to Petco Park.
- Reduce air pollution: People who will participate in Free Ride Day are encouraged to take the clean air pledge and demonstrate the collective commitment to cleaner air.
Free Ride Day Pop-Ups
MTS will also hold pop-up outreach events in the morning and afternoon to thank riders for choosing transit. Riders can stop by for transit info, and promotional items and enter to win a Free Ride Day giveaway!
- Old Town Transit Center: 6 a.m. – 8 a.m.
- El Cajon Transit Center: 6 a.m. – 8 a.m.
- Palomar Transit Center: 6 a.m. – 8 a.m.
- Euclid Avenue Transit Center: 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Balboa Avenue Transit Center: 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Miramar College Transit Center: 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Tips for Free Ride Day
Can I ride the North County Transit District’s services, such as the COASTER or SPRINTER?
Yes. NCTD is participating in Free Ride Day as well. Visit its website for more information about NCTD Free Ride Day at gonctd.com.
What if I can’t participate on Free Ride Day on Oct. 5, but still want to try transit soon? Can I get a free ride rain check?
No. Unfortunately, Free Ride Day is one day only.
I’ve never ridden transit before. How do I plan my trip?
- Call our professional trip planners! Our trip planners are available Mon-Fri 5:30am-8:30pm and Sat-Sun 7am-7pm at 619.233.3004
- Try the website. The Trip Planner allows you to search by bus route, Trolley line, bus stop number or general location. Remember – Park & Ride lots are a great option for commuters using the Trolley, Rapid or Rapid Express routes.
- Download the PRONTO App to create a virtual card, manage your account, and more.
- Download the OneBusAway App – This app allows users to zoom into your current location on a map and shows you the stops around you. It also lists the next arrival times for the next bus or trolley coming your way.
What should I do if I get lost and can’t find my stop?
- MTS Ambassadors and/or Security Officers will be at most Trolley stations and can help answer any questions.
- MTS Bus Operators are also helpful for travel information. (Only talk with the operator when the bus is not moving).
- Other options include:
- Ride Assured Security Hotline: 619.595.4960
- MTS Information & Trip Planning: Our trip planners are available Mon-Fri 5:30am-8:30pm and Sat-Sun 7am-7pm at 619.233.3004
Will MTS be operating on a normal weekday schedule?
Yes – all buses and Trolleys will be operating on a normal weekday schedule.
Are MTS Access appointments free on Free Ride Day?
No, MTS Access is not included in this year's Free Ride Day.