Get a free lift on Wednesday, October 4!
Free Ride Day is taking place Wednesday, October 4. Trolleys, COASTER, SPRINTER, and fixed-route buses will be totally free to ride. Free Ride Day is being held in conjunction with California’s Clean Air Day, where residents across the state of California will take steps to reduce emissions and improve air quality.
Taking transit in lieu of driving can provide many benefits:
Commuter Cost Calculator
With gas prices still hovering around $5 in San Diego County, riders are invited to try the commute cost calculator to see how much they can save by choosing transit.
Reduce Air Pollution
People who will participate in Free Ride Day are encouraged to take the Clean Air Pledge and demonstrate the collective commitment to clearer air.
A recent report from the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) shows that individuals who ride on public transit instead of driving a car in San Diego can save almost $15,000 a year or $1,250 a month! The rising cost of purchasing and maintaining a car and the rising cost of gas makes taking public transit a much more affordable option. Read the report here.
Free Ride Day Pop-Ups
MTS will also hold pop-up outreach events in the morning and afternoon to thank riders for choosing transit. Riders can stop by for transit info, and promotional items and enter to win a Free Ride Day giveaway!
- Old Town Transit Center - 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- Euclid Avenue Transit Center - 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- Iris Avenue Transit Center - 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- UTC Transit Center - 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Fashion Valley Transit Center - 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
In celebration of California Clean Air Day, SANDAG will also be holding popups at these locations:
- San Ysidro Transit Center: 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- Miramar College Transit Center: 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- La Mesa Blvd. Station: 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- Balboa Avenue Station: 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Tag @sdmts and win!
Tag us in your Free Ride Day photos for a chance to win a Best Buy Gift Card!
- Follow us @sdmts on Instagram or Twitter
- Post your best Free Ride Day Photo
- Make sure to tag us @sdmts
Winners will be notified on Friday, October 6, 2023!
Terms and Conditions
Tips for Free Ride Day
Can I ride the North County Transit District’s services, such as the COASTER or SPRINTER?
Yes. NCTD is participating in Free Ride Day as well. Visit its website for more information about NCTD Free Ride Day at gonctd.com.
What if I can’t participate on Free Ride Day on Oct. 4, but still want to try transit soon? Can I get a free ride rain check?
No. Unfortunately, Free Ride Day is one day only.
I’ve never ridden transit before. How do I plan my trip?
- Call our professional trip planners! Our trip planners are available Mon-Fri 5:30am-8:30pm and Sat-Sun 7am-7pm at 619.233.3004
- Try the website. The Trip Planner allows you to search by bus route, Trolley line, bus stop number or general location. Remember – Park & Ride lots are a great option for commuters using the Trolley, Rapid or Rapid Express routes.
- Download the PRONTO App to create a virtual card, manage your account, and more.
- Download the OneBusAway App – This app allows users to zoom into your current location on a map and shows you the stops around you. It also lists the next arrival times for the next bus or trolley coming your way.
What should I do if I get lost and can’t find my stop?
- MTS Ambassadors and/or Security Officers will be at most Trolley stations and can help answer any questions.
- MTS Bus Operators are also helpful for travel information. (Only talk with the operator when the bus is not moving).
- Other options include:
- Ride Assured Security Hotline: 619.595.4960
- MTS Information & Trip Planning: Our trip planners are available Mon-Fri 5:30am-8:30pm and Sat-Sun 7am-7pm at 619.233.3004
Will MTS be operating on a normal weekday schedule?
Yes – all buses and Trolleys will be operating on a normal weekday schedule.
Are MTS Access appointments free on Free Ride Day?
No, MTS Access is not included in this year's Free Ride Day.