The annual Laptop Scholarship Essay Contest awarded 40 San Diego County High School students (grades 9 - 12) with best scored essays on this year's prompt with a new laptop. A ceremony to commemorate their achievements took place on January 26.
The San Diego County of Governments (SANDAG), the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) and North County Transit District (NCTD) launched a temporary pilot program offering free transit access to youth 18 and under.
For the 2022 Laptop Scholarship Essay Contest, sponsored by Reyes Coca-Cola, students wrote a persuasive essay on the value of the pilot program, and why it should or should not continue.
Congratulations to all the winners!
- Entrants must be enrolled in a San Diego County high school (Grades 9 – 12) at the time of submission.
- Submission will include a written essay of a minimum of 750 words.
- One entry per student.
- Entries must be the sole work of the entrant. A student's signature on the application is required for verification.
- Entries must be accompanied by a completed application form.
- Entries can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emailed essays are preferred in a Word document. If submitting a PDF file, please DO NOT include the student's name or school on the essay in any place (to help maintain anonymity for judges' scoring.) The application should be attached as a separate file.
- Essays can be mailed/delivered to the following address by 11:59 p.m. PST November 25, 2022: MTS Scholarship, 1255 Imperial Avenue, Suite 900, San Diego CA 92101. Mailed entries must be postmarked by November 25, 2022, for consideration.
- The 40 high school students with the best judged essay submissions, as decided by a panel of judges, will win a laptop.
- Each entry will be scored anonymously by two panel judges.
- Finalists will be notified at the end of December 2022. Decisions of the judges are final.
- An award presentation will take place either virtually (January 2022, date TBD). Winners and their parents/guardians are highly encouraged to attend this event.
- Entries become the property of MTS and will not be returned to entrants.
- Entries and winners may be shared with the media.
- Previous winners of the MTS Laptop Scholarship Essay Contest will not be eligible to win again.
All entries must include a completed application form. Download application form here.
Address and Directions
Metropolitan Transit System
1255 Imperial Ave
San Diego, CA 92101