We offer reduced fares and passes for:
- Senior Citizens (60+)
- Medicare Recipients (not MediCal)
- People with disabilities who qualify under 49 USC 5307(d)(1)(D) and 49 CFR Part 609
- Youth ages 6-18 (school or transit identification required)
To purchase and use a discounted pass, you will be required to show proper identification demonstrating your eligibility.
We accept the following identification:
- Compass Card Photo ID (Preferred)
- A valid government-issued photo ID with birthdate (for seniors)
- Medicare card + government-issued photo ID
- DMV Placard ID (Receipt) + a government-issued photo ID
- Senior ID card (60+)
You must carry one of these forms of ID with you to prove eligibility for the discounted fares and passes.
Compass Cloud Mobile Fares
Reduced fares are available on Compass Cloud for eligible riders. To confirm reduced fare eligibility, riders must:
- Prove S/D/M or Youth eligibility at the MTS Transit Store or one of the NCTD Customer Centers. Acceptable forms of identification listed above.
- Provide an email address that is accessible on the applicant’s smartphone
- Ability to download the free Compass Cloud app
- Have a credit card or PayPal account
You can apply for reduced fares in one of two ways:
The following people can apply using the Reduced Fare Short Form:
- People 60 years of age or older with picture ID with birth date. Acceptable forms of ID for proof of age are:
- Birth certificate
- Driver’s license
- Senior ID
- Medicare card
- Immigration papers
- People with picture ID and the following forms of identification:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Income(SSD)
- DMV Placard: proof of disabled placard or ID card issued by Dept. of Motor Vehicles
You can take the completed short form to The Transit Store on weekdays between 9am-4:30pm to have your photograph taken and to receive your Reduced Fare Photo ID.
*PLEASE READ IMPORTANT NOTICE BELOW REGARDING LONG FORM PROCESSING CHANGES
The form fully describes the qualifying disabilities and the type of licensed health care professional authorized to complete the certification.
Please return the completed application to:
SDM ELIGIBILITY OFFICE
100 16th Street
San Diego, CA 92101
We will notify you if your application is approved within 15 working days contingent upon verification by your physician or licensed health care provider.
Once your application is approved and notice is received, go to The Transit Store on weekdays between 8am-4:30pm to have your photograph taken and to receive your Reduced Fare Photo ID.