PRONTO Extend is a pilot program, open to individuals 18 through 24, who have exited the foster care system on or after their 18th birthday, or who have elected to participate in the Extended Foster Care Program. With PRONTO Extend, eligible individuals will have access to free transit passes on MTS and NCTD services, starting July 1, 2022 (up to through December 2023). Interested participants must apply and be approved for the program prior to receiving free transit access. Read on below for additional details.
Eligible individuals must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for the PRONTO Extend Pilot Program:
- 18 through 24 years old; Previously in a foster care system
- Individuals who were previously in a foster care system through the County of San Diego or in a foster care system outside of the County of San Diego, and who have who have exited foster care, upon or after their 18th birthday.
- Individuals who have elected to participate in Extended Foster Care Program
- Provide one of the following eligibility letters/forms from applicable County Foster Care System:
- Proof of Dependency/Wardship Letter
- Notice of Action – Approval, Change, or Discontinued Form
- Provide a valid form of identification (options include):
- Government Issued Photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License, State Issued ID, Passport, etc.)
- Birth Certificate
- Other (e.g. Social Security Card, current school ID)
To apply for the PRONTO Extend program, users will need to provide the following documents:
- Completed and signed application form
- County proof of eligibility form (Proof of Dependency/Wardship Letter OR Notice of Action – Approval, Change, or Discontinued Form)
- Valid Government ID, whose name matches the documentation above
Applications can be submitted online, submit via mail or in-person, or via fax. Once received, applications may take up to 15 business days to process, so participants are encouraged to apply early.
Please note if you use the online form, you do not need to download the application form.
Apply Via Fax
Download and complete the application form and then fax your application and copies of your supporting documentation to 844-299-6369.
Apply In-Person or By Mail
Attn: PRONTO Extend Eligibility
100 16th Street
San Diego, CA 92101
Weekdays: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Download, complete the application form, and print it out. Bring your supporting documentation if applying in person or make a copy and mail to the address above.
Once you have received your approval for PRONTO Extend, you will have access to no cost transit passes each month.
You will need the PRONTO mobile app, or a PRONTO Card to download your pass, and must receive confirmation of your application approval prior to being able to download a pass.
Users will have access to two passes:
- MTS Pass: Valid on Trolleys and local, Rapid, Rapid Express and rural bus routes
- NCTD Pass: Valid on FLEX, BREEZE, SPRINTER and COASTER services
- If you need access to both transit agencies, users can download both passes to their PRONTO card.
To download the pass using the PRONTO app, watch the video below, or follow the step-by-step instructions.
- In your PRONTO app account, go the 'Manage' tab and select 'Student and Employee Programs.'
- Select the 'PRONTO Extend' program
- Once successfully linked, go to the 'Manage' tab and select 'Add Passes.' (If you get a link unsuccessful message, verify that your email address matches what was provided to the PRONTO Extend Eligibility program, and that you have received your approval letter. Call 619-595-5636 for additional support as needed.)
- Select the agency whose pass you need (MTS or NCTD)
- Select 'Buy Now' and complete the checkout process to download the pass to your device. You will not need to add a credit/debit card, as this pass is no cost to you.
- The pass will appear on the 'Use' screen beneath the QR code, where it says 'Fares Available.' (If you have purchased a pass for the following month in advance, it will appear under the 'Manage' tab - 'Purchased Passes.')
To download the pass to a PRONTO card, users can:
- Call the PRONTO Support Center (619-595-5636), weekdays 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Load the card online at RidePRONTO.com (requires email address)
- After your account is created online, select the option to 'Add a PRONTO Card,' or use an existing PRONTO card tied to your account. (Please note, if you have multiple cards tied to your account, only the card that was submitted to the PRONTO Extend application will be able to access the free pass.)
- Select the option to 'Add Pass' under the 'Current Product' options.
- Add the appropriate pass option and complete the checkout process.
Month passes are valid from the first through the last day of the calendar month, and are available for download the 20th of the month prior, through the 19th of the current month.
For example, a pass downloaded on June 25 and a pass downloaded on July 5 are both valid for the month of July (July 1 – 31).