In fall 2018, MTS and the North County Transit District (NCTD) proposed the first fare changes in a decade. Fare revisions were proposed to address the following issues:
- Operational costs over the previous 10 years increased, while fare revenue declined and fares did not increase
- Increased fare revenue was needed to maintain high levels of service
- The proposed changes would simplify the fare structure across the region and allow for implementation of PRONTO, MTS' new fare system
After conducting outreach at transit centers and community events around the region, as well as collecting nearly 800 online surveys, the MTS Board of Directors approved a recommendation for the following fare change proposal. The SANDAG Board of Directors approved the changes after public hearings in 2019.
The following changes to MTS service fares were implemented between 2019 and 2021:
- Single discounted monthly pass for Senior, Disabled, Medicare (SDM) and Youth riders at $23
- Addition of a new, discounted SDM and Youth Day Pass at $3
- Increase in the cost of a Regional Adult Day Pass from $5 to $6
- Single one-way fare Adult price of $2.50 for MTS Trolley and buses
- Single one-way SDM and Youth price of $1.25 for MTS Trolley and buses
- MTS Rural Route one-way fare of $8 for Adults, $4 for SDM
- RegionPlus Pass replaced with the Premium Regional Pass ($12, includes all MTS services, including Rapid Express, plus NCTD SPRINTER and BREEZE) and the COASTER Regional Pass ($15, includes all MTS fixed-route services, all NCTD fixed-routes services, including all COASTER zones)
- Increase in the minimum age for senior discounts from 60 to 65 (seniors 60 years or older prior to the effective date will remain eligible for discounts)
Full details on current MTS fares and passes can be found on our Fares page.