This November, we celebrate one year of Trolley service to UTC along the UC San Diego Blue Line extension. The Mid-Coast extension has proven to be a popular route, with the UC San Diego Blue Line seeing a 73% increase in ridership since its opening. Over 53,000 trips have occurred and 1.7 million car miles which would be equal to going to the moon and back 3.5 times! 19% of Blue Line ridership takes place along the Mid-Coast extension and accounts for 12% of all Trolley trips.
UC San Diego Blue Line Pop Up Celebration
Join us as we celebrate a year of service to UTC at the Balboa Avenue Transit Center Friday, November 18 from 3:30 – 5:30 p.m. with SANDAG and our community partners. Stop by to pick up custom UC San Diego Blue Line PRONTO cards, cookies, and other swag items to commemorate this historic anniversary!
For 40 years, the San Diego Trolley has been creating new opportunities for people. And now, it is linking our most dynamic communities in San Diego. The Trolley’s UC San Diego Blue Line will go from the border with Mexico, through downtown and all the way to UTC. It connects people with opportunities for jobs, education, healthcare, shopping and entertainment. Take an awe-inspiring ride and experience all the opportunities for yourself.
View the Trolley schedule and connecting bus schedules:
Approximate times between top destinations along the UC San Diego Blue Line include:
|San Ysidro – UTC||1 hour 23 minutes|
|Chula Vista (H Street) – UTC||1 hour 7 minutes|
|Old Town – UTC||26 minutes|
|National City (8th Street) – UC San Diego||53 minutes|
|Downtown (Santa Fe Depot) – UC San Diego||29 minutes|
|Balboa Ave – UC San Diego||11 minutes|
Better Bus Connections
MTS listened to the community through an extensive rider and public outreach effort between 2018-2021 to collect ideas about improving bus service to coincide with the UC San Diego Blue Line Trolley opening. As a result, MTS enhanced the existing bus network by modifying more than 30 bus route schedules to include better frequencies, better beach access, faster service and more! Click here to see all the November 2021 Service Changes and check your routes for updates. A few highlights include:
- Route 8 (service to Mission Beach and Pacific Beach) will now serve Balboa Avenue Transit Center with increased frequency to every 15 minutes (previously 20 minutes)
- Route 43 (new!) will operate every 15 minutes most days between Kearny Mesa and Balboa Avenue Transit Center. A quick transfer to Route 140 or Route 8 will get you to the sand in minutes!
- Route 140 (new!) will operate every 15-30 minutes most of the day with direct access between the Balboa Avenue Transit Center and downtown La Jolla
- Route 985 (new!) will operate weekdays during normal commute times every 15-20 minutes and will connect the UC San Diego Blue Line with the business parks off North Torrey Pines Road
- Airport Shuttle (new!) – San Diego International Airport will begin a new electric bus shuttle route between the Old Town Transit Center and Terminals 1 & 2. Please visit san.org for more information
Bus Route Map